Recently, authoritative media published research on the trend of sex toys based on Internet search behavior, which enabled ESDOLL to interpret European and American market trends based on big data and a global perspective.
Based on an industry report from Statista and keywords from several large sex toy e-commerce companies, the study used the Google Trends tool to determine the relative popularity of each keyword across the country. The analysis included U.S. and European residents. The proportion of online sex toy searches relative to the population, as well as interest and trends in adult sex toys in Europe and the United States, and their correlation with income (GDP per capita, average monthly income), etc.
Among them, the search volume is based on the 4 most popular sex toy type keywords: sex dolls, aircraft cups, and male masturbators (sex doll torsos), and the generic keyword (sex toy) that is usually used to search for the entire sex toy is in every 100,000. Estimated data on Google searches in the population, led to the following conclusions:
Overall world people’s interest trends:
- Overall, Swedes have a higher overall interest in sex toys than any other country in Europe, followed by Denmark at 41.7% lower than Sweden. The remaining three countries in the top 5 are the UK, Norway, and Finland, which have almost twice as many searches. In the U.S., the states are pretty much the same, and no state stands out significantly. The top 5 states are West Virginia, Oklahoma, Alaska, Maine, and Mississippi.
- Sex dolls have become the most popular sex toys in the world, they account for about 39% of the entire sex toy market. The United States is at the top of the search list.
- Dildos lead the sex toy market with a 21% market share. It is more popular in Europe than in the US, with Norway and Sweden searching for Dildos the most.
- The popularity of sex dolls is similar in Europe and the United States, with Maine and Iceland at the top of the list, while relatively speaking, the United States has an advantage, with only one country in Europe making the top 5.
- Sex dolls, condoms, and male masturbators have become one of the fastest-growing products in the sex toy industry, with similar popularity in Europe and the US.
- In the US, the higher the GDP per capita, the higher the interest in sex toys. In Europe, the situation is exactly the same, countries with higher GDP per capita tend to show a higher interest in sex toys.
7. Fleshlight has become synonymous with “aircraft cup”.
Single search term results:
- Search data for the term “Sex toys”
Per 100,000 adults, Swedes searched for the term “Sex toys” more than twice as much as any other country in Europe and more than three times as many as any state in the United States. In a state-by-state comparison in the U.S., it is clear that the results are similar, with no state numerically dominant. In the US, Mississippi, West Virginia, and Maine round out the top three. In Europe, the top three countries are Sweden, Denmark, and Norway.
- Search data for the term “Sex dolls”
Italy is the most searched country for ‘sex dolls’, with an average of 326.6 searches per month, 3 times more than any US state. The top three countries in Europe include Italy, Poland, and the Netherlands. U.S. states were very close in searches, with Louisiana at No. 1, Mississippi in runner-up, and Oklahoma, Texas, and Wyoming tied for third.
- Search data for the keyword “Dildos”
Monthly searches for “dildos” are highest in Norway at 285.4, meaning it is popular in Norway, while Europe Norway, and Sweden both top the list for Dildos searches. It is more popular in Europe than in the US, where the top-ranked state for searches for “dildos” is Alaska with 181 monthly searches, with West Virginia and North Carolina well behind Alaska.